Yearly Reading Challenges

This blog contains my book reviews for my yearly reading challenges. See all my reviews at http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1478411.

Sunday, June 19, 2011

TBR Challenge 2011- June Category: Contemporary

The Last EnemyThe Last Enemy by Pauline Baird Jones

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

TBR Challenge 2011- June Category: Contemporary. This book has been on my Amazon wishlist since April 2010.


The author's strengths are her actions scenes and her wordplay. Jones writes some of the best action scenes I've ever read. They are tense, exciting, and well-plotted. I found this true in her sci-fi rom books, and It's true for the romantic suspense, The Last Enemy. Her way with words and phrases is superior. Even in this sometimes dark suspense, Jones makes you smile and even laugh out loud at the way the female leads looks at life.


Be cautioned that this isn't a light and fluffy story. It's gritty and the body count is high. Toward the end when Dani is enduring an exhausting ordeal, the reader is right there with her. Jones does a great job describing the characters physical and emotional states.


I admit to some problems with the first 25% of the book when I didn't agree with the choices Dani made, and felt her decisions hurt others. I came to understand her reasoning better as the book went on, but for a while I was stumped. Also, there was one part of the plot (dealing with Dani's online identities and who knew what) that seemed like a plot hole, although I didn't backtrack to see if I simply missed the explanation. (One reason I prefer print books. They're easier to search for information when you need to.)


Overall, very entertaining book. I found myself reading aloud parts to my husband so he could enjoy the humor with me. There is a lot of strong attraction and emotion between the lead characters, but it isn't acted on for the most part. There is angst, and it's very well done. There is an HEA.

View all my reviews

No comments: