Yearly Reading Challenges

This blog contains my book reviews for my yearly reading challenges. See all my reviews at http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1478411.

Thursday, June 2, 2011

TBR Challenge 2011- June Category: Contemporary

Hot ShotHot Shot by M.J. Fredrick

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

TBR Challenge 2011- June Category: Contemporary. This has been on my tbr list August 2010.


3.5* I confess I can't remember why I put this on my amazon wishlist, or my TBR list, but I'm glad I did. I've read several suspense books based on firefighters lately, and didn't have a lot of hope that this one was any better. But I was pleased to see a realistically drawn heroine, and a story with more emotional depth than I'd expected. There weren't as many details about fighting forest fires as Nora Robert's Chasing Fire but the characters were more fleshed out and more human. The writing and the story were superior to Wild Heat by Bella Andre.


Peyton is a reporter who gets trained as a hot shot so she can continue her series on people with dangerous/heroic jobs. She's trying to understand her late husbands dedication to his job as a SWAT member. She's dedicated, but I appreciate that her reactions on the job, as well as her stamina, seems normal instead of some superwoman. Peyton tries hard but she's inexperienced and at times terrified. Gabe is a hot shot recovering from a heartbreak of his own, and has a long held dislike of reporters.


The suspense plot isn't as strong as it could be, but the action inside the fires is exciting, and the romance is satisfying.


View all my reviews

No comments: