Yearly Reading Challenges

This blog contains my book reviews for my yearly reading challenges. See all my reviews at http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1478411.

Sunday, June 12, 2011

TBR Challenge 2011- June Category: Contemporary

Hot Wheels and High HeelsHot Wheels and High Heels by Jane Graves

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

TBR Challenge 2011- June Category: contemporary. This book has been on my TBR list since January 2010.


The first quarter of the book didn't grab my interest much. The comedy in the first part of the book didn't seem funny. The reader is suppose to find humor in a shallow trophy wife pushing forty who ends up being dumped with nothing but the rock on her finger by her embezzling husband. As the book progresses, we see some character growth in Darcy, and get to know John, the man who comes to repossess her car. After the author starts to reveal some of why Darcy is the way she is, the reader can start to feel sympathy for Darcy.


The relationship between Darcy and John is the strong point in this book. It's fun, funny, and poignant. Ms. Graves does an excellent job on the secondary characters as well. There is an emotional scenes toward the end of the book that definitely tugs at your heart. What starts out as a farcical comedy turns into a sweet and believable love story. While the early attempts at humor causes me to mark the rating down a bit, the change to a character-driven love story pushes it back up. Jane Graves ends up giving the reader that satisfying emotional punch at the end that so many romances lack.


View all my reviews

No comments: