Yearly Reading Challenges

This blog contains my book reviews for my yearly reading challenges. See all my reviews at http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1478411.

Sunday, June 5, 2011

TBR Challenge 2011- June Category: Contemporary

Out Of Her League (Suspense Series, #1)Out Of Her League by Kaylea Cross

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



TBR Challenge 2011- June Category: Contemporary Romance. this book has been on my amazon wishlist since August 2010.


3.5 to 4 stars
The strength of this book is the author's characterization of the characters. Christa was especially well-done. Her PSTD was shown more realistically than I've ever encountered in a romance book. The growing attraction between Rayne and Christa was handled believable, as was Christa's reluctance to act on the attraction and Rayne's determination to give her all the time she needed. Very few women in real life recover from this kind of trauma by throwing themselves into a physical relationship.


The stalker, and the entire suspense plot, was well-plotted and a little creepy. Unfortunately, some plot points hinged on Christa making less than stellar decisions, but the decisions weren't sheer stupidity. They were decisions to try to keep living a normal life, and later a decision to put someone else's needs before hers.


Towards the very end of the book, the author chose to slow the suspense plot down and use some road trip to develop the relationship between Rayne and Christa. This part of the book didn't work for me. I found it boring and a little sappy. It felt like I was dropped in the middle of not-so-great Harlequin romance. Thankfully, this little side-trip doesn't take up too many pages.


At the end I was hoping the author would deal a little more with Christa's recovery from PTSD, since finding true love isn't a sure-fire cure. But overall this is a very good suspense story and a sweet romance. I'll be looking for more books by Ms. Cross.


View all my reviews

No comments: