Yearly Reading Challenges

This blog contains my book reviews for my yearly reading challenges. See all my reviews at http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1478411.

Monday, March 21, 2011

Shadow Games by Feehan

Shadow Game (GhostWalkers, #1)Shadow Game by Christine Feehan

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Speaking of Audiobooks Challenge category: Tempt yourself to find a series that grabs hold and won’t let go by listening to the first in a series.

3.5* rounded up to 4* for goodreads (and because of the awesome narration by Tom Stechschulte).

Shadow Games has a great premise. The government is funding a top secret program to enhance psychic ability. But something has gone terribly wrong and the subjects of the program are now being kept like prisoners in a lock-down facility. Murder, treason, and betrayal are all part of the mix as the men, led by Ryland Miller, try to find ways to protect each other and expose the traitor(s). Lily is the genius, and psychic, daughter of the original researcher. She ends up helping the men and falling in love with Ryland.

As an action/suspense story Shadow Games works very well. Feehan's writing is taut and she keeps the tension high. The romance was intense, and very emotional. My main complaint is that it took over much of the story. One love scene took almost an entire chapter and I found myself wishing the story would switch back to the mystery and suspense. I think if I were reading the book it might not have struck me quite so strongly because I would have skimmed the love scenes and gotten back to the suspense plot. Don't get me wrong, I liked both leads and loved their story, but I'd have preferred shorter sex scenes. Tom Stechschulte's deep voice and sexy intensity may have enhanced the impact of the love scenes, as well.

Overall I recommend the book and already have the second book on audio to listen to soon.

View all my reviews

No comments: