Yearly Reading Challenges

This blog contains my book reviews for my yearly reading challenges. See all my reviews at http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1478411.

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Hidden Riches by Nora Roberts

Hidden RichesHidden Riches by Nora Roberts

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

TBR Challenge 2011 - I'm using the TBR Challenge to make myself clear out some books that have been on my to-read shelf for a long while. Hidden Riches has been on my list since January 2010.

Dora's quick wit makes this book. Nora Roberts does a great job writing her, and writing the interactions between Dora and Jed. Jed is a complex character, but even though he acts like a jerk on several occasions, he isn't an unlikable person. In fact, his struggles are some of the most realistic I've seen in romance novels. I'm glad Jed admits his feelings for Dora, at least to himself, before the crisis at the end. That added believability to the HEA.

The plot has suspense but it's not a mystery. The readers know all along what's going on, and the suspense comes from how it's all going to play out. The suspense was a success for me. I enjoyed how the details were unraveled for the readers. Dora's emotions and reactions after scary events seemed believable. In newer novels the norm is a superwoman who is fearless and often reckless. Dora was no doormat, but she had realistic reactions to being in danger.

View all my reviews

No comments: