Yearly Reading Challenges

This blog contains my book reviews for my yearly reading challenges. See all my reviews at http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1478411.

Friday, May 13, 2011

TBR Challenge- May Category #2

Tall Tales and Wedding VeilsTall Tales and Wedding Veils by Jane Graves

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

TBR Challenge 2011: May category- Marriage of convenience. this book has been on my library to-read list since Sept 2010.


I've enjoyed other Jane Graves' books, especially I Got You, Babe, so I shouldn't have been surprised that I enjoyed Tall Tales, Wedding Veils as much as I did. I think I was surprised because of the plot: two drunk almost-strangers get married in Vegas, decide for some reason they need to stay married a while before calling it quits, find out how difficult it is to have to deceive people you care about, and end up falling for each other against all odds. That should be a tired, boring story, but Graves didn't write a tired boring story, even if the plot is a well-used one. Heather and Tony are likeable, well-developed characters, and if they are little too caught up in their own lives to see other clearly, they are still good people trying to do the right thing. The relationship between the two was funny and poignant, and the dialog was often humorous. Even though I figured, being a romance book and all, there would be a "happily ever after" I was still pulled into the tension and moments of pain of their story. I liked that the characters tried to talk to each other and that even though the break felt real, the desire to communicate and the underlying relationship Heather and Tony had already established showed through.


View all my reviews

No comments: