Yearly Reading Challenges

This blog contains my book reviews for my yearly reading challenges. See all my reviews at http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1478411.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Hot Island Nights by Sarah Mayberry

Hot Island Nights (Harlequin Blaze, #566)Hot Island Nights by Sarah Mayberry

TBR Challenge 2011- the is book has been on my TBR list since before 2011.

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

If you read the back cover of this book you'd probably dismiss it as quick, hot romp, and you'd be partly right. It's a quick read, and it's steamy at times, but it isn't a "romp." Sarah Mayberry knows how to use her 200 pages to write well-drawn characters and emotional stories with real depth. Nate is an Australian man suffering from PTSD due to an accident. Elizabeth is a somewhat repressed English woman who has recently learned a startling bit of information about her past. These two end up together for what both thinks is a one-nighter, or at best a short affair. But as each one copes with the past, they find they also have to cope with the present, and hopefully the future. And that means both getting beyond the present pain. Mayberry makes you care about the characters and believe their stories. Nate is the most complex character of the book. He comes to life in this book and brings the rest of the story with him.


This is the third book I've read by Sarah Mayberry, and I plan to work my way through her backlist.


View all my reviews

No comments: