Yearly Reading Challenges

This blog contains my book reviews for my yearly reading challenges. See all my reviews at http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1478411.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Shield's Lady by Jayne Ann Krentz

Shield's LadyShield's Lady by Jayne Ann Krentz

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

SFR Reading Challenge 2011


The Lost Colony trilogy by Jayne Ann Krentz are some of her best work, imo. The writing is strong, the details and characters well-developed, and the romances satisfying. My favorite of the three is the first, Sweet Starfire, but I've enjoyed all three. (The second book is Crystal Flame). the books do not have to be read in order.


I was surprised when reading reviews for this book that so many readers had a problem with Gryph's attitude toward Sariana. Many seemed to feel he was a jerk to her. My reaction to the couple was just the opposite. I was on the verge of getting frustrated with Sariana because she was so manipulative and obtuse. In reality, however, both characters acted in realistic ways given their backgrounds and their understanding of events. This is the story of two cultures clashing as much as anything, and Krentz does an excellent job with these characters. She builds their actions, thoughts and words firmly on the foundation of who they are and where they've come from. Each one has a limited understanding of the others worldview and motivations. Gryph and Sariana both come to understand the other slowly, and as they do they come to appreciate each other. Gryph is apologetic for his high-handedness, and Sariana comes to understand what has motivated him and how she fits into that.


Unfortunate the book falters just a bit at the end, but it's minor, and overall this is an excellent sci-fi/fantasy and an excellent romance.

View all my reviews

No comments: