Yearly Reading Challenges

This blog contains my book reviews for my yearly reading challenges. See all my reviews at http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1478411.

Monday, May 2, 2011

The Spymaster's Lady by Joanna Bourne

The Spymaster's LadyThe Spymaster's Lady by Joanna Bourne

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Speaking of Audiobooks 2011 Listening Challenge: Listen to another listener’s romance favorite


Listening to The Spymaster's Lady was a thoroughly enjoyable experience. The narrator, Kirsten Potter, did the accents to perfection, and breathed life into the dialog. The story itself seemed to be less important than the pleasure of listening to Potter's rich voice. Not to say that the story wasn't excellent. The Spymater's Lady has a good balance of danger, intrigue, action, romance, suspense, and humor. The characters were sympathetic and honorable, even if flawed. The story did drag a bit for me at the very end when the author chose to slow down the pivotal scenes with Anique's musings. I realize this was done on purpose, to give a sense of unreality to the drama, as seen though the emotions of Anique. But even knowing that, I itched for the internal thoughts to cease and to find out how it was all going to be resolved. The only other quibble I had with the book was the slightly over-emotional sex scenes. The narrator handled it beautifully, but if I'd been reading them I probably would have skimmed or skipped them altogether.


I'm not sure I would have enjoyed this book quite so much in print, but I enthusiastically recommend the audio.


View all my reviews

No comments: