Yearly Reading Challenges

This blog contains my book reviews for my yearly reading challenges. See all my reviews at http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1478411.

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Song of Scarabaeus

Song of Scarabaeus by Sara Creasy

SFR Reading Challenge 2011
Sci-Fi Rom Group BOM for February (goodreads.com)

Read from February 13 to 18, 2011
Excellent sci-fi with well done romantic elements. The romance isn't a huge part of the book, yet the relationship between Edie and Finn is always right below the surface and is integral to the story. That makes the developing relationship feel satisfying and believable. The world-building is subtle but extremely well done, and I love how the author unfolds the past with a light touch and no info-dumps. The book isn't overly scientific, but being a biologist I enjoyed the references to retroviruses and genetic engineering.

Song of Scarabaeus was full of action, and the pacing never lags. by the middle of the book, the author gives the reader enough time to breath, and then unfolds more action. The characters, both primary and secondary, are well-drawn. The primary characters (Edie and Finn), although flawed, are people to believe in and care about. I passed this on to my sci-fi loving husband and I'm eagerly awaiting the next in the series.
4*/5*

No comments: