Yearly Reading Challenges

This blog contains my book reviews for my yearly reading challenges. See all my reviews at http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1478411.

Sunday, April 22, 2012

SOA and SFR Reading Challenges

The Vor Game by Lois McMaster Bujold

SOA Listening Challenge 2012: Surprise Me 2nd Quarter
Choice #4--Listen to a non-romance

SFR Reading Challenge 2012 #12- I was doing the Moon Challenge (15 books) but will now up my status to the next level.

4.5*
Grade A

Watching Miles "grow up" is almost as difficult and nerve wracking as watching my own children's progress. Although I'm very grateful my children won't be juggling the future of the known universe in their hands any time soon. I was on the edge of my seat for much of the book, and laughing out loud for much of the rest. Miles is a wonderful character, and his over-confidence and bravado inspire both admiration and horror. This is my first time through the series, and I can't help wondering if the impact of the decisions Miles has had to make, including the mistakes, is going to come back to haunt him. And I wonder if he'll ever think he's achieved enough to make up for his disabilities.

Bujold is a master at convoluted, many-layered plots. Reading her one of her books is always a pleasure. The narration by Grover Gardner is excellent as always. While he doesn't change his voice a great deal for his characters, he does have a different inflection for each character, especially during dialogues, and it's easy to follow along.

No comments: