Yearly Reading Challenges

This blog contains my book reviews for my yearly reading challenges. See all my reviews at http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1478411.

Friday, April 13, 2012

SFR Reading Challenge 2012

The Warrior's Apprentice (Vorkosigan Saga #4) by Lois McMaster Bujold

SFR Reading Challenge 2012 7/15
Free from the Baen Free Library.

I admit I wasn't as pulled into this one as early or as powerfully as the other Vorkosigan books I've read so far, but this was also the first on I hadn't listened to on audio. I did find the middle section of the book somewhat convoluted and had trouble keeping the (many) characters and factions straight. But I have to marvel at how much detail Bujold puts into her books, and how layered the plots and characters are. Amazing, really. Just when you want to dub the series "light," Bujold throws in something sobering and very, very disturbing.

Miles is a great character, and I liked seeing him at what is essentially the beginning of his story. I love the humor, and I like that Miles, while the "hero" of the tale and obviously a likeable person, is definitely not perfect or blameless.

No comments: