Yearly Reading Challenges

This blog contains my book reviews for my yearly reading challenges. See all my reviews at http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1478411.

Thursday, September 1, 2011

TBR Challenge- General

Amber Beach (Donovans Series #1)Amber Beach by Elizabeth Lowell

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

TBR Challenge 2011- General: this book has been on my TBR list since July 2010.

2.5* Rounding up to be nice.

Stubborn characters and a weak plot characterize this romantic suspense. The most interesting parts of the book had to do with (somewhat outdated) information on the Russian economy as it switched to free market, or amber. I was surprised to find I enjoyed the author's tangents on amber, and I even enjoyed some of the boating information. the plot was silly and any semi-smart reader is going to figure it out way early in the book, even with the over-abundance of characters involved. The romance was okay, but Honor held on to her stubborn opinions much longer than necessary, and the resolution between Honor and Jake was shallow and abrupt. I'd hope to see a little angst as they both tried to let the other know they were interested in a future.

Some of the dialog was just silly and unnecessary, making Honor especially sound like a flippant teenager. Too many characters rambled in this book, and there were too many unlikeable ones.

The narrator was so-so. She had a nice voice, but she didn't distinguish well between characters and her timing was uneven.

Added to that, through no fault of the author or narrator, the audio file is messed up. At one point in the second half of the book, the story jumps forward, plays on for a while, then jumps back to where it was, then jumps back to resume the story. Very confusing! I do NOT recommend buying this audiobook from audible.com. (A source I usually enjoy.)

View all my reviews

No comments: