Yearly Reading Challenges

This blog contains my book reviews for my yearly reading challenges. See all my reviews at http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1478411.

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Sweet Starfire by Jayne Ann Krentz

Sweet StarfireSweet Starfire by Jayne Ann Krentz

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Sci-Fi Romance Reading Challenge 2011


Sweet Starfire was published in 1986, presumably before Jayne Ann Krentz was writing her sci-fi romance under the name Jayne Castle. I didn't look at the copyright date until after I'd finished, and was surprised to find this was Krentz's first "futuristic" book. In my opinion, it's one of the best I've read by her under any pen name. The book has a solid plot, great action scenes, a slow-building romance, well-developed characters, and detailed world-building. Sweet Starfire is the first book in the Lost Colony trilogy. From what I can gather, the books are not dependent on each other, but take place in the same universe. The other books are Crystal Flame and Shield's Lady. The latter was originally published under pen name Amanda Glass, but has been reissued under Jane Ann Krentz.

There was something genuine in the interactions between the main characters, Teague Severence and Cidra Rainforest. Krentz does a great job making the emotions and actions of the leads believable and often moving. Highly recommended.


View all my reviews

No comments: