Yearly Reading Challenges

This blog contains my book reviews for my yearly reading challenges. See all my reviews at http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1478411.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Emily and the Dark Angel

Emily and the Dark AngelEmily and the Dark Angel by Jo Beverley

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


TBR Challenge 2011-- Recommended to me in the fall of 2010.


Emily and the Dark Angel was entertaining but not unique. While the book could be rated "G" based on the interactions of the characters, I'd hesitate to recommend this to a young teen because of handling of the subject of mistresses and "whores." One conversation, started by the hero, about who would be the first to "mount" the 17 yr old protege of a well-known "loose-woman" was particularly distasteful. As I said, the language and actual scenes are kisses only, but the tone was more explicit than books by Georgette Heyer for example.


I enjoyed most of the writing, but found it got a little to sweet the last several chapters. The potential for some real angst was diffused before it could take a good hold, and all the reunions and reconciliations were a bit much. Decent book, but it didn't grab me enough to actively seek out more by this author. However, I may check my library for them if I want a quick, easy read.


View all my reviews

No comments: