Yearly Reading Challenges

This blog contains my book reviews for my yearly reading challenges. See all my reviews at http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1478411.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

SOA Listening Challenge 2012: Paranormal Romance

A Hunger Like No Other by Kresley Cole

SOA Listening Challenge 2012: Paranormal Romance 1/4
4.5 out of 5  Grade A

A Hunger Like No Other is full of imaginative and unique world building. Cole takes some chances and is able to find something new and entertaining in an over-saturated paranormal romance market. She's created a complex world populated with several races of immortals, each with a well-developed back story that is at least hinted at in this book. The secondary characters are well-drawn and very individual, and I imagine that subsequent books will take up their individual stories. Cole added some really fun twists, like the fact that the Valkyrie are acquisitive (they love to acquire expensive things), and that the Lykae have a knack for quick learning and are sensualists.

The sensuality rating is high on this book, so be forewarned. If you are listening to this on audio, you may find yourself blushing while walking the dog or doing the dishes with your headphones on. ;-)

My only real caveats with the book are that I got a little tired of the flippant way Emma spoke to Lccklain at times, and her "hip" slang (which will undoubtedly date the book sooner than it would otherwise). Tied to that, I also got tired of the anger and sniping. I was glad when that finally ended. 

No comments: